The Alverno Heights Academy Philosophy
Alverno Heights Academy intends to prepare knowledgeable individuals of conscience and conviction to function in their world with the courage to take risks in the pursuit of values, and with the ability to apply untried solutions to problems. We also intend to create an environment in which students can develop the humility and humor needed to learn from their mistakes; in which they can experience the joy that comes from behaving with a spirit of generosity; and in which they can grow in the compassion necessary to live as peace-makers in the global community. Underlying the educational process at Alverno are the following Christian assumptions:
- That the fundamental dignity of every person is based not on possessions or accomplishments, but on being created in God’s image, redeemed by Jesus Christ, and destined for resurrection;
- That the radical challenges of the Gospel and the social teachings of the Catholic Church call for lives of justice, compassion, and service;
- That the planet earth and all created beings are a legacy to each generation and thus to be respected, protected, and –where possible — restored;
- That consciousness of the Sacred is fostered by a mature understanding of Sacramental meaning and ritual.
For and with our students we seek:
- To provide a curriculum of academic excellence, encompassing multiple disciplines;
- To articulate and advance the rights of all people and the oppressed to full and equal participation in a democratic society;
- To use not only books, but also the arts and technologies to communicate information that leads to an understanding and response as part of the global community;
- To promote cooperation and tolerance as values, and encourage a responsible solution of conflicts;
- To foster healthy friendships as the basis of strong community bonding;
- To develop and cultivate leadership skills which will advance them in their decision-making both at Alverno and the world of which they are members.
For all of our students we affirm and demonstrate through every action our belief in the value of:
COURAGE to make a difference.
DIVERSITY to make a better world.
COMPASSION for others and for ourselves.
HUMOR to make our lives more joyful.
GENEROSITY of spirit, resources and time.
NURTURING to inspire growth through praise and encouragement.
CREATIVITY to solve problems and enrich our lives.
ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT AND INTELLECTUAL growth by managing, designing and assessing our own learning and responsibility to positively influence the world in traditional and non traditional roles.
Foster our CATHOLIC FAITH, that has its traditions and practice, and the emphasis on social justice and redemption found in the Gospels.